lynx-dev autoconfigure and host_os dependent CC

From: pg
Subject: lynx-dev autoconfigure and host_os dependent CC
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 23:25:36 -0600 (MDT)

I'd like to make the default C compiler dependent on the
host operating system.  There's a case statement that does
this sort of thing -- I attempted adding:

case $host_os in
os390*)
        echo "Original CC was (${CC-undefined})"
        CC=${CC-c89}
        CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 -D_ALL_SOURCE"
        ;;
esac

... but it happens far too late, after much testing is already done.

The original setting apparently happens in macro AC_PROG_CC, called
out of configure.in.  But I don't know where to find the definition
of this macro.

For the time being, I'm simply supplying CC=c89 in the environment
of the call to configure.

Any better suggestions?

Thanks,
gil