Re: lynx-dev virtual html pages (fwd)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev virtual html pages (fwd)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 02:55:43 -0400 (EDT)

990410 Vlad Harchev wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Doug Kaufman wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, C.J.LAWSON wrote:
>>> As one would expect on a unix box   txt2html <filename> | lynx
>>> normally  txt2html  dumps the result to stdout
>> see the following message from Bela Lubkin in the archives.
>>  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1098/msg00295.html
> There is no such message on  www.flora.org

i just grabbed it & here it is:

Eduardo Chappa wrote:
> I tried the following recipe
>
> :0 B fbw
> * ()<HTML>
> | lynx -dump -force_html
>
> and it worked perfectly. The only problem I had was that I could not use
> my own version of Lynx, it used the one installed in the system and
> nothing that I tried worked, but I guess this is not hte right place to
> discuss this. In any case if somebody knows, please let me know.

That would always dump your default Lynx home page!  Try:

  | lynx -dump -force_html -nolist /dev/stdin

(try with and without -nolist, see which is closer to your intend
purpose).  Depends on the existence of /dev/stdin, which I think is
pretty standard on Unix-like operating systems these days.  If it's
missing, try /dev/fd/0; if not that, use a temp file:

  | cat > junk.html; lynx -dump -nolist junk.html

That introduces all sorts of horrible security issues, so /dev/stdin is
much better.

Of course, using Lynx in this manner probably opens up a bunch of
security holes in the first place.  Adding "-restrictions=all" might
make it slightly safer.  So I recommend:

  :0 B fbw
  * ()<HTML>
  | lynx -dump -force_html -nolist -restrictions=all /dev/stdin

[signed] Bela Lubkin