Re: lynx-dev batch-mode cookies ?

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev batch-mode cookies ?
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:13:56 -0400 (EDT)

Leonid wrote:
> 9-Apr-99 19:25 Hugo Rabson wrote:
[...]
> > I'm now running Lynx 2.8.2dev21 and the problem is the same: I don't get a
> > persistent cookie file in batch mode. That is, the cookie file _exists_ &
> > was created by Lynx in batch mode, but it's empty. I've compiled
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Hmm... That may be a problem when "persistent_cookies" does set to FALSE:
> looking into LYMain.c I found out that "if (persistent_cookies)"
> check really lost:
>
> #ifdef EXP_PERSISTENT_COOKIES
>         /*
>          *  We want to save cookies picked up when in immediate dump
>          *  mode.  Instead of calling cleanup() here, let's only call
>          *  this one. - BJP
>          */
>         LYStoreCookies(LYCookieFile);
> #endif /* EXP_PERSISTENT_COOKIES */
>
> so cookies may be saved but never loaded next session.
>
> > persistent cookies in & set the options in lynx.cfg so that persistent
> > cookies worked just fine under Lynx in _interactive_ mode.
>

> But that may have nothing with your problem.
> I am not a cookie expert, sorry.
> Try starting lynx -trace and compare Lynx.trace files from interactive
> and noninteractive mode, this will give a hint.

Vanilla 2.8.2dev.21, only compiletime option is --enable-persistent-cookies.

Script started on Sun Apr 11 17:58:25 1999

darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ cat ~/.lynx_cookies
cat: /home/pk/.lynx_cookies: No such file or directory
darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ ./lynx -version

Lynx Version 2.8.2dev.21 (30 Mar 1999)

Copyrights held by the University of Kansas, CERN, and other contributors.
Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
See http://lynx.browser.org/ and the online help for more information.

darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ ./lynx -dump http://www.altavista.com/ > /dev/null
darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ cat ~/.lynx_cookies
.altavista.com  FALSE   /       FALSE   946641600       AV_UID  d719f71967c64b
darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ exit
exit

Script done on Sun Apr 11 17:59:00 1999

Script started on Sun Apr 11 17:59:59 1999
darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ ./lynx -trace -dump http://www.altavista.com/ >
/dev/null
darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ cat ~/.lynx_cookies
.altavista.com  FALSE   /       FALSE   946641600       AV_UID  d719f71967c64b
darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ grep -i '^Cookie:' ~/Lynx.trace
Cookie: AV_UID=d719f71967c64b
darkstar:~/lynx/2.8.2dev.21$ exit
exit

Script done on Sun Apr 11 18:00:52 1999

Am I missing something?  AFAIK everything works fine -- a more detailed
bug report would help me dig around on this.

I'm pretty sure I fixed dump_output_immediately mode for cookie loading
and storage a while ago (dev1x or so), so I'm wondering if this is
Hotmail being futzy.

I'm still really lacking in time (I see I'm not the only one with the
cross country move out of CA), so it may take a while, but I'll
investigate anything I get.  Judiciously snipped trace files can be
sent through private mail if needed.

--
BJP