Re: lynx-dev PATCH [dev21]: source caching

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev PATCH [dev21]: source caching
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 01:27:41 +0400 (MSD)

11-Apr-99 15:57 Chuck Martin wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 10:08:48PM +0400, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
>>
>> Also, we can expand this little further and implement HTTP/1.1 cache so
>> HTLoad will send conditional GET requests when we already have a source
>> locally.  Anyway this may be a next good step.

> If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't think that's a desireable
> feature.  The point is, I already have a document I'm looking at, and I
> may want to see the source to see why it looks the way it looks.  If the
> page is dynamically created, the source I get back may not correspond to
> what I was looking at before, and it defeats my purpose.  I don't want
> the page to be reloaded under any circumstances just because I choose to
> view it in a different way any more than I want it to be reloaded just
> because I hit the space bar to go to the next page.  Or am I
> misunderstanding you?

Yes. I mean we can utilize locally cached sources not only when we change
certain layout parameters but also we can emulate proxy-cache without
additional costs (if we have no such thing installed on a system,
e.g. you run lynx on non-UNIX machine and use ISP's proxy on the other side
of a slow link).

HTTP/1.1 spec describe the terms of verification whether the document
was changed or not, so we can exchange the headers only (under the certain
conditions) instead of the entire document when we reload the already visited
page. Of cause, the efficiency of such cache depends on a cache size...