Re: path: revised lynx-dev.html

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: path: revised lynx-dev.html
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:17:20 -0400 (EDT)

990411 Tom Dickey & Doug Kaufman wrote:
> For some reason, you seem to have added <br> at the end of each line.
> Except for  places where this is meaningful, it should probably be
> avoided. It reads well. I would recommend the following grammar
> correction.
> yes - we had a discussion about this last year
> (if I notice unnecessary <br>'s in a patch, I'll remove them).

i have better things to do than pursue an argument about this, but:

(1) having put the time in to do the work,
    i deserve to decide how to present it to the user,
    unless there is something clearly awkward or wrong;
(2) you don't read the source, you read the rendered version:
    the <br>'s serve to divide the lines at natural breaks in phrasing
    & the ordinary user never sees them;
(3) <br> is a perfectly valid item in HTML for authors to use when they want:
    if most people use it less often,
    that may be because they are untidy or thoughtless;
(4) if we had a discussion about this, my lay-out prevailed:
    this is not the same issue as the one about <br><br>'s;
(5) there is nothing grammatically wrong with the line as i wrote it,
    but that's too trivial to argue about.