Re: lynx-dev Information

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Information
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:55:38 -0700

On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 11:31:37AM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> >     Can I download Lynx exe(Unix) from the InterNet.If yes pls tell me
> > from which Site.

> (Normally one says "binary" for Unix, just possibly "executables", but
> "exe" comes from Microsoft's naming conventions and would imply DOS or
> Windows if you hadn't qualified it.)

Well, some of us came from the dec10&20 world where, as I
recall, executables were .exe-files, and that term over time
got hardwired into our brains.

(The dec20 had an operating usually known as "twenex", super-good,
and was the one that the seeming-"children" who came in to do the
vax vms system seemingly refused to look at, started from a blank
sheet of paper, and gave us vms --- and now, I guess, NT.  :-(