Re: path: revised lynx-dev.html

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: path: revised lynx-dev.html
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:37:53 +0100 (BST)

> (3) <br> is a perfectly valid item in HTML for authors to use when they want:

Which causes problems for style sheets, as there is no way to represent
it in a style sheet.

>     if most people use it less often,
>     that may be because they are untidy or thoughtless;

Normally I see excess use of <br> in GUI pages where the authors are
so thoughtless as to not understand that HTML has a paragraph construct.

I think it is very bad for Lynx help files to demonstrate the sort of
bad style that in other contexts makes pages difficult to read under
Lynx.  HTML is not a page description language, and, except in verse,
newlines are not significant to the structure of body text, so should
be left to the browser to insert according to the user's policies.