Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:01:15 -0400 (EDT)

> The patch (without doc changes) increases the discrepancy between
> documentation and reality, but I also question its usefulness.

thanks (I didn't see any discussion on this last week, put it in dev22
since it's simple to change back - or expand as needed)

> Anyway, I suggest it would be better to at least start with the
> user's home directory by default, instead of '.'.  Also, this
> can be specified in URL form: "file://localhost/~/" should work.

better (but still doesn't address anon users unless we add something special)

> >   #
> > ! # *** NBB *** System administrators with ANONYMOUS USERS !!!
> > ! #   set STARTFILE to a REMOTE FILE by uncommenting the next line:
> > ! #STARTFILE:http://lynx.browser.org/
> > ! #   and commenting out the default offered above;
> > ! #   you may, of course, choose to replace `lynx.browser.org'
> > ! #   with another remote/local file which you know to be safe.
>
> It doesn't make much sense to ask system administrators with ANONYMOUS
> USERS (them and only them) to set STARTFILE to
> "http://lynx.browser.org/";, or to a 'REMOTE FILE'.  Those are probably
> exactly the folks who want to point STARTFILE to a specific (probably
> local) location.  Not just 'you may', they SHOULD.

yes - that's a problem (people don't read installation instructions
unless the program doesn't work)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden