Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:48:17 +0900 (JST)

> so the documentation needs further improvement: your turn ...

Please, this is not a healthy attitude.  Just because you get a
little flak doesn't mean you have to turn back.  My criticism is
intended to be constructive -- really.

> on further thought, i agree with LP: best default is Main Help Page.

No.  Even the default help page has not been set to a local file,
for a reason.  Appropriately, one is advised to do so, however.

> the problem arises when l.b.o. is down -- not infrequently -- ,

We know this.  I happen to disagree that skirting the issue is
the solution.  I would rather see documentation of the problem
and possible solutions, one being to try ".".

> so that Lynx refuses to start & the user can't even enter  h ;
> this could happen with any remote site,
> so the solution has to be to make the default a local URL:
                  ^^^^^^^^^
Why?  Actually preferable would be a volunteer with huge resources
available to host lynx.browser.org.  Leonid's idea of pointing to
ftp.digital.com might work.  Jim?

> and we have to have a very simple default they can substitute
> or we'll have Henry (grin) screaming that the sky is falling.
> by all means, add  1 - 2 lines  of further advice: your patch?

You're missing the point here.  It doesn't matter in the slightest
what the default site is.  My advice is to remove all mention of
anonymous in the discussion about STARTFILE unless the topic is
dealt with completely (no 1 - 2 lines by any means, more like
100 to 200).  In this case, a little knowledge is potentially dangerous.

__Henry