Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:14:21 -0400 (EDT)

990414 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 14-Apr-99 08:40 Philip Webb wrote:
> > or the message could be hard-coded, like the Print screen: eg
>
> >                   Start File Inaccessible
>
> >   Lynx is unable to access your start file <a>...</a>:
> >   you can try your start file again by pressing Enter
> >   or you can go on with your Lynx session with any Lynx command
> >   -- e.g. `g'oto , `h'elp or `v'iew bookmarks --
> >   or you can quit Lynx with `q' or `Q' (unconditional).
> This is not a programming problem, to get a consensus is.

it seems to me my suggestion above satisfies all views so far.

> I would rather prefer to correct exit messages
> with a hint of what happend and what can to do.

of course, now you've raised another one ...

> Say: - incorrect startfile URL syntax;
> - local file not found;
> - DNS lookup failure;
> - interrupted by user;
> - internal error (!)  etc.

the problem case is none of these, tho' DNS & `local not found' are similar:
it's where an ordinary user can't start Lynx
because Lynx can't get thro' to l.b.o. or some other remote STARTFILE,
but there's nothing else (known to be) wrong with the Lynx set-up.
that specific case can be handled -- easily you say --
by programming Lynx to react in that -- specific -- case
with a screen as above; other cases would result in error messages,
which could certainly be customised to give a hint what's wrong.

so can you have a go at getting Lynx to put up that screen
(just) when it can't find the specified STARTFILE
& would have let the user get on with his/her session,
if it had occurred with some other URL after starting successfully?