lynx-dev automatic uncaching (was: PATCH [dev22]: source caching fixes)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev automatic uncaching (was: PATCH [dev22]: source caching fixes)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 03:50:46 -0500 (CDT)

(only commenting on the uncaching-related part of this; I haven't read
up on the rest of this discussion yet, and haven't looked at the recent
code.)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 14-Apr-99 13:32 Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
>
> >> Probably the exit from options menu may now utilize the power of
> >> SOURCE_CACHE,
> >> though it handles more parameters than HTdocument_settings_changed()
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >    I found another bug: if there is something on the cache stack (say doc A
> > -current doc and doc B), and we go to 'O' and change something, only
> > appearance of 'A' is changed, the appearance of B is not changed - the
> > cahced
> > version is used. IMO it will be better to uncache everything in the stack.
> > This is best tested with 'links are/not numbered' - since rendered versions
> > differ a lot.
>
> That was a very expensive solution before SOURCE_CACHE
> but now this can be done nicely by adding more parameters to the function
> above and avoid using of HTuncache_current_document() calls.
> Until we keep a compatibility with SOURCE_CACHE:NONE this is a little messy.

If the behavior is changed from "only reload top document after
relevant option change" to "reload all affected documents after option
change", then please make this optional/configurable.  The current
behavior is maybe sometimes unexpected, but I generally prefer it over
the alternative.  I know where the ^R key is if I need it, and would
like to avoid unnecessary reloading.

   Klaus