Re: lynx-dev automatic uncaching (was: PATCH [dev22]: source caching fix

From: Scott Bigham
Subject: Re: lynx-dev automatic uncaching (was: PATCH [dev22]: source caching fixes)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:25:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> > That was a very expensive solution before SOURCE_CACHE
> > but now this can be done nicely by adding more parameters to the function
> > above and avoid using of HTuncache_current_document() calls.
> > Until we keep a compatibility with SOURCE_CACHE:NONE this is a little messy.

> If the behavior is changed from "only reload top document after
> relevant option change" to "reload all affected documents after option
> change", then please make this optional/configurable.  The current
> behavior is maybe sometimes unexpected, but I generally prefer it over
> the alternative.  I know where the ^R key is if I need it, and would
> like to avoid unnecessary reloading.

If I may...  If I understand what Leonid is proposing, it would have no
effect if source caching was not active.  Currently, if source caching
is enabled and a document is fetched from cache that was originally
parsed under settings different from the current settings (if inline
image links have been toggled since you visited that page, for
instance), the document is automatically re-parsed from cached source
under the new settings; if source caching is disabled, the behavior is
unchanged.  AIUI, Leonid is proposing that certaing settings adjustable
from the options menu, like numbers-as-arrows, be treated in the same
manner.

                                                -sbigham