Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx documentation

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx documentation
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:20:56 +0400 (MSD)

16-Apr-99 15:39 Michael Sobolev wrote:
> Hmm...  This returns us to my very first question: is there user's mailing
> list?

I would like to introduce a letter from Al Gilman,
IMO these words should be added for lynx-dev.html page

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 19:58:42 -0400
To: address@hidden, address@hidden,
        Leonid Pauzner <address@hidden>,
        Maintainer of doslynx-dev <address@hidden>,
        Maintainer of doslynx-dev <address@hidden>,
        Owner of the Lynx-related email list index <address@hidden>
From: Al Gilman <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx-users ; doslynx-dev ; doslynx-users
Cc: Heather Stern <address@hidden>

At 09:21 AM 4/7/99 -0600, address@hidden wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 10:34:53PM +0400, Leonid Pauzner wrote on lynx-dev:
>> How many times would you send this question to the list
>> (this is copy #3 during last week or so).
>(sorry about the multi-posts, but something went wrong with my subscribe,
>and I never saw my original show up in the archives, nor any responses,

The key policy points are:

Taking user queries off the list would not materially reduce the volume on
the list.  Developers can deal with a busy list and need a busy list to
meet their needs.

There is too sporadic a flow of user questions to support a mutual-help
water-cooler sort of dialog space.  Better they ask the developers, even
when the questions are dumb.  There just aren't enough of them to weed out.
There was a lynx-learners list for a while, but it died after a while.

I am not speaking for doslynx-dev.  I don't have any idea of the health
state of that list.

This is just history.  There are potentially smarter setups but it is not
clear that that trip is necessary, that they would return enough value to
justify the added maintenance cost.  [explaining what questions go where,
etc.]