Re: lynx-dev automatic uncaching (was: PATCH [dev22]: source caching

From: Scott Bigham
Subject: Re: lynx-dev automatic uncaching (was: PATCH [dev22]: source caching fixes)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:52:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> It would be nice if these two aspects - SOURCE_CACHE setting on the one hand,
> auto-invalidation of loaded documents on the other - could be implemented
> as independent settings (even if for the user they are coupled into one
> option as you sugggest).  That would make it easier to change things later.

(shrug) It could be done, certainly, and without too much trouble.  One
would need to separate out the new remembered-settings fields in
struct _HText, the new HTdocument_settings_changed() function, and the
blurb in mainloop() that calls it.  But I can't imagine you could rally
much support behind such a change.  This sort of setting-sensitive
re-parsing really only makes sense when source caching is active; your
initial reaction to automatically reloading the document from the server
under these conditions is, I imagine, pretty much universal.

> I assume the SOURCE_CACHE has its own kind-of validation/no-cache/expired
> logic, just not date-based.

No, source caching does not affect the overall caching protocol in any
way; whatever caching logic Lynx has is applied to the cached document
as before, and the attached cached source, if any, is reloaded in the
process of reloading the cached document.

                                                -sbigham