Re: lynx-dev screen widths

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev screen widths
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:02:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> the fact that Lynx uses only columns 4 - 73 of the standard 79-col screen
> is hard-coded somewhere in Lynx; it has nothing to do with stty:
> (1) there's nothing in  man stty  about setting display width,
> (2) my (present) editor & the man display both use 79 columns,
> without any change in tty settings.  a lot of users would find it helpful
> if they could use all 79 columns when using Lynx: i am one of them.

See DefaultStyle.c.

> moreover, the fact that Lynx restricts users to 70 columns flies
> in the face of the ideological claim that it should be format-neutral:
> it was chosen -- apparently arbitrarily -- back in the early days of Lynx.

"Back in the early days of Lynx" (or of the WWW Library), these things
were put in a separate source file; so the rest of the code is
(mostly) format-neutral in your sense.  The idea of style sheets
isn't a new one.  If someone implements (changeable) style sheets for
lynx, that's where changing the margins would belong.

   Klaus