Re: lynx-dev screen widths

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev screen widths
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:11:45 -0400 (EDT)

> On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 12:17:18PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > no - 80 (132 column terminals weren't common until the early 80's -- around
> > the time that punchcards went away)
>
> I don't know about terminals, but I believe 132 column *printers* were

printers, yes, terminals no (there's a real difference ;-).
printer widths were pretty standard also, I believe because of the paper sizes,
and the limited range of character spacing -
and _that_ didn't change until the early 80's when laser printers became common,
so we could have more variations than switching lines/inch between 6 and 8.

wide terminals didn't hit the street until the word processing industry
boomed at the end of the 70's, and then they were a niche market until the
early 80's (a side effect of the IBM PC, some would argue).

(but that's just my first-hand experience ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden