Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:14:35 -0400 (EDT)

> I've seen many messages here saying that VT100 doesn'support color. That's
> true for real VT100 terminals, not for VT100/VT102 emulators, and I don't
> believe that many people are using real VT100 terminals nowadays. Most VT100
> emulators I know support color. Last year I discussed that subject with
> Thomas and others in comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc.

-- I still disagree though

> compiling Lynx with Slang. Slang doesn't assume that VT100 doesn't support
> colors and displays colors when you use the "-color" option in the command

slang uses one particular combination of assumptions about color terminals,
which works with about half of the "ANSI" color terminals that I'm aware of.

> termcap
> -------
> :Co#8:pa#64:op=\E[37;40m:AF=\E[3%dm:AB=\E[4%dm:

this won't work for the configuration that I use at work, since I use
a white background there.

(my home machine's screen is higher resolution, and I use black background
except when running lynx - color contrasts aren't good enough).

> terminfo
> --------
> colors#8, pairs#64, op=\E[37;40m, setaf=\E[3%p1%dm, setab=\E[4%p1%dm,

same problem - works for you, perhaps not everyone

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden