Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html [lynx-dev]

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html [lynx-dev]
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 16:26:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Michael Warner wrote:

> On or about 17 Apr, 1999, Doug Kaufman
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > You need to turn on "image links". While in lynx, you
> > control this with the "*" key. It can also be set from your
> > .lynxrc file via the options page or from the lynx.cfg file
> > with "MAKE_LINKS_FOR_ALL_IMAGES". The command line switch
> > "-image_links" also toggles this. I keep this turned on all the
> > time, only turning it off if the screen is too cluttered. It
> > also controls whether or not the links are shown with the "A"
> > or "L" commands.
>
> I don't think that's the problem.  They use an IMG in place
> of link text, and the '*' key just gets the IMG url
> (.../high_bidders.gif), not the url of the bidders list.
> The link he wants is available as a "hidden link" on the
> 'L'inks page.  Using the "-hiddenlinks=merge" commandline
> switch with links numbered gets a number assigned to the
> hidden link, making it much easier to find on the 'L'inks
> page (the urls are pretty cryptic).

You are correct. It looks like I replied before checking this out
completely. The site has strange html, with the two links combined,
ending in </A></A>. Tag soup parsing lets you see the intended
information. The advice to view this site then would be to use TagSoup
parsing, either with the CTRL-V key within lynx, by invoking lynx as
"lynx -tagsoup", or by setting the parser to TagSoup in lynx.cfg (with
TAGSOUP:TRUE). The hiddenlinks option is probably too esoteric for most
users. All of us need to use the alternate parser on occasion.

Sorry about the bad advice I gave earlier.
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)