lynx-dev Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:32:32 -0400

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 08:34:02AM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, "News Subsystem" wrote:
> > I'm not sure if the tod-list [sic] is being actively maintained...
> Not very actively...

I'm the "maintainer" of this page, meaning I'm supposed to mark the
things as done or remove them when they get done. Direct suggestions or
diffs against the html would be good. New requests for things "to-do"
get added by others. As you can see, the page was last changed in Sep
1998.

> > but the stuff
> > on there about Cookies seems too cookie-friendly...
> Most of what's listed there seems to be in the current cookie code
> (2.8.1, and more so 2.8.2dev.N).  Not just changes to make it
> more "cookie-friendly" (less discerning in what is acceptable),
> but also in the opposite direction.  (It's not all well documented,
> things are still in flux.)  Quoting from that URL:
>
>      * (Suggested by Hiram W. Lester, Jr.) Something needs to be done so
>        that cookies can be accepted from all domains by default. This is
>        available as command line "-cookies"; also see the cfg file
>
> There is now -accept_all_cookies and ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES.  Note that
> the -cookies flag does NOT do this, the second sentence is wrong.
> (-cookies is an overall flag to turn accepting of cookies on or
> completely off.)
>
>      * (Suggested by Hiram W. Lester, Jr.) Status message for accepting
>        cookies even if there was an option to always allow all cookies.
>
> In general, cookies that are deemed acceptable without needing user
> confirmation are accepted quietly - a status message of each cookie
> would be just too annoying, especially if the user had already said
> he wanted such cookies.  But there *is* a message (duration MESSAGESECS)
>    'A'lways allowing from domain 'XXX.XX.XX'.
> the first time a cookie from a given domain is auto-accepted, *if*
> this happens just because of -accept_all_cookies or ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES
> (as opposed to previous 'A'lways answer to a prompt, or presence of
> the domain in a COOKIE_ACCEPT_DOMAINS list or in a persistent cookie
> file).
>
>      * (Suggested by Rolf Puchtinger) Would it be possible to prompt
>        users for the option to save COOKIES with expiry dates longer than
>        "session" in a permanent file in the user's directory for
>        subsequent sessions?
>
> Persistent cookies are implemented (but still marked "experimental").
> Cookies with a given expiration in the future are saved to the persistent
> cookie file on exit, if enabled.  This was broken in 2.8.1 though, it
> even saves cookies that should not be saved.  (But they would be
> discarded when the file is read the next time.)

I don't follow the cookes development code closely, so I'm not qualified
to write an update for the TODO page. Can someone give me a short blurb?

Thanks!

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
It's the people you meet in this job that really get you down.