Re: lynx-dev lynx with -color and -lss

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx with -color and -lss
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 06:46:21 -0400 (EDT)

> > Yes, here's the catch.  The Red Hat binary correctly identifies an
> > rxvt and shows colors automatically, and in an xterm, I can start
> > the Red Hat lynx with -color to get color.  My homegrown lynx, on
> > the other hand, needs to be invoked with '-term=rxvt' for colors.
> > I found this behavior puzzling; if you have a ready explanation
> > for this, I'd be eager to hear it, otherwise don't bother -- I'm
> > happy that it works.

The ncurses terminfo defines an 'rxvt' entry; the default 'xterm' entry
does not define color (though the install instructions say to change
_that_ to whatever's best for your installation).  rxvt and xterm are
different enough that they have different terminal descriptions (both
are different from XFree86 xterm).

On my home machine, I have compiled several emulators, each setting
$TERM to match the appropriate description (xterm-r5, xterm-r6, several
versions of XFree86 xterm, kterm, emu, rxvt and aterm -- no eterm since
it won't build w/o that imlib stuff)

> Please review other messages on this topic, especially form the last
> week or so, in the lynx-dev archives.
>
> Your xterm terminfo file says that color is not supported, and
> your rxvt terminfo file says that color is supported.  I assume
> your xterm program is configured to set TERM to "xterm", and

rxvt sets the $COLORTERM environment variable, which slang applications
look for.  That's probably why it "works".

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden