lynx-dev ^Z and stty cols (was: screen widths)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev ^Z and stty cols (was: screen widths)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:02:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, David Combs wrote:
> I myself LOVE running on the internet with screen width set to
> 132.  I find it MUCH easier to scan large amounts of written
> material.
>
> When I want to print-to-file something that I want to later
> print on the laser-printer, I simply set cols to 79 (via
> ^Z then doing it), then when I do fg, wonderful lynx
> realizes this change, and a ^R reformats the page, and
> *that's* what I print-to-file.

Actually, this doesn't work for me if lynx is compiled with
ncurses.  It does work as described for a version compiled
with slang.

In general, resizing with the ncurses binary *does* work (with
the limitations already discussed recently, i.e. ^R or similar
is required), but doing it with `stty cols NN' while lynx is
suspended does not.

The reason is that in that situation the lynx process doesn't
get a SIGWINCH signal; the linux kernel sends the signal only
to the tty's foreground process group.  So the lynx code doesn't
get the trigger to re-check the screen size.  The curses structures
*do* get updated, so ncurses then has the new size, lynx itself
continues to format assuming the old size, and things are out of
synch.

Solution:
   stty cols NN
   kill -WINCH %+