Re: lynx-dev Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:28:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 08:34:02AM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> I'm the "maintainer" of this page, meaning I'm supposed to mark the
> things as done or remove them when they get done. Direct suggestions or
> diffs against the html would be good. New requests for things "to-do"
> get added by others. As you can see, the page was last changed in Sep
> 1998.

> I don't follow the cookes development code closely, so I'm not qualified
> to write an update for the TODO page. Can someone give me a short blurb?

So my blurbs were too long for your purpose?  :)
Here is the short version:

> >      * (Suggested by Hiram W. Lester, Jr.) Something needs to be done so
> >        that cookies can be accepted from all domains by default. This is
> >        available as command line "-cookies"; also see the cfg file
> >
> > There is now -accept_all_cookies and ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES.  Note that
> > the -cookies flag does NOT do this, the second sentence is wrong.
> > (-cookies is an overall flag to turn accepting of cookies on or
> > completely off.)

IOW:  Done in 2.8.1 (-accept_all_cookies).   [delete mention of "-cookies"]

> >      * (Suggested by Hiram W. Lester, Jr.) Status message for accepting
> >        cookies even if there was an option to always allow all cookies.
> >
> > In general, cookies that are deemed acceptable without needing user
> > confirmation are accepted quietly - a status message of each cookie
> > would be just too annoying, especially if the user had already said
> > he wanted such cookies.  But there *is* a message (duration MESSAGESECS)
> >    'A'lways allowing from domain 'XXX.XX.XX'.
> > the first time a cookie from a given domain is auto-accepted, *if*
> > this happens just because of -accept_all_cookies or ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES
> > (as opposed to previous 'A'lways answer to a prompt, or presence of
> > the domain in a COOKIE_ACCEPT_DOMAINS list or in a persistent cookie
> > file).

IOW: done as far as it makes sense.

> >      * (Suggested by Rolf Puchtinger) Would it be possible to prompt
> >        users for the option to save COOKIES with expiry dates longer than
> >        "session" in a permanent file in the user's directory for
> >        subsequent sessions?
> >
> > Persistent cookies are implemented (but still marked "experimental").
> > Cookies with a given expiration in the future are saved to the persistent
> > cookie file on exit, if enabled.  This was broken in 2.8.1 though, it
> > even saves cookies that should not be saved.  (But they would be
> > discarded when the file is read the next time.)

IOW: persistent cookie storage available ('experimental') since 2.8.1,
     improved in 2.8.2, but no prompting for it.

  Klaus