Re: lynx-dev screen widths

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev screen widths
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:25:30 +0900 (JST)

>     as i said originally, i'm not going to pursue an argument
>     about using <br> or <pre> to lay out documentation neatly;

Shucks!  This is exactly where the problem lies, IMO, i.e., some
consideration of what is "desirable" and "unacceptable" HTML.

>      1  argues that the long-standing Lynx layout in fact has a pattern,
>     if only people notice it (documentation would help here too).

Lynx, almost out of necessity, makes decisions about style.  Whether
users recognize it or not, Fote and others spent considerable time
thinking about and implementing a style that would be informative and
functional, pleasing to the appearance and not distractive to a wide
range of terminals, and to specific NEEDS of certain users.

>     in the absence of style-sheets in the near future,
>     i'ld say L/R columns in the screen display should be configurable
>     via an Option, but of course someone has to do the coding (BL?).

I would like to express the opinion, no.  Users have been told
exactly where to go to change the code; they should be their own
coders in this case.

__Henry