Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #inclu

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #includes)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:21:36 +0900 (JST)

> > ! Step 1. (define compile-time variables)
[...]
> > !   this file, and the changes should be straight forward.  If you compile
> > !   using autoconfigure, you should set defines with option switches and not
> > !   edit userdefs.h directly.
>
> That last sentence reads as if editing userdefs.h was completely unnecessary
> and not recommended at all if configure is used.  That's of course not true.
> There are only a handful of userdefs.h settings that can be preempted with

Thanks, Klaus, for the input.  Tom, please apply Doug's and Jim's patches to
INSTALLATION first.  This Saturday I should be able to respond to comments
and send in a revision.

Tom, and others, could you comment on this "editing of userdefs.h" change.
It was my impression that there WAS no longer a need to edit userdefs.h, and
that some of you never do anymore.  Should I leave it the way it is, or
should I make the change, but emphasize that if you don't edit userdefs.h,
you absolutely must edit lynx.cfg?

> It also contradicts what userdefs.h says.   More than two thirds of it are
[...]
> people take it seriously.  But some options that really need to be reviewed
> by the installer (like GLOBAL_MAILCAP) are grouped together in section 1.)

I would be willing to revise userdefs.h if that is what autoconfers would
prefer.  If nothing else, perhaps I could revise INSTALLATION to point to
specific section(s) of userdefs.h.

> Henry didn't change it, but I noticed that Step 3 is giving wrong advice;
> it would be more correct with the 5 words inserted below.
>
> > ! Step 3. (You may skip this step if you use only English and are not
> > interested
> > !     in any special characters, or if your display and local files will
> > all use
>                                                                      ^
>                                                 ...and all visited Web
> pages...
>
> > !     the ISO-8859-1 "ISO Latin 1" Western European character set.) People
> > who

Would it work to be more general rather than define all situations, i.e.,

"You may skip this step if you use only English, are not interested
in any special characters, and will only view documents in the ISO-8859-1
(ISO Latin 1) Western European character set."

or even more simply,

"You may skip this step if you use only English."

__Henry