Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:13:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> >You may disagree but the fact is that most VT100 terminal emulators
> >support color.
>
> But this is a contradiction in terms.

Yes, it is but they support color.

> If VT100 does not support color, which others have stated is a fact,

Yes, true VT100 terminals dodn't support color.

> then a "vt100 emulator" cannot support color, because it is no longer a
> vt100 emulator.

`A la lettre, you're right but they are VT100 emulators _and_ support color.

> It could be called a "vt100-ish emulator that also supports color", but by
> definition a vt100 emulator cannot support color if it is true that actual
> vt100 terminals do not display color.

Usually, those emulations are called VT102 although, as far as I know, true
VT102 terminals don't support color either. You may call them whatever you
want, VT147, VT172, etc. and they will still support color.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |