Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:05:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, David Woolley wrote:

> > termcap
> > -------
> > :Co#8:pa#64:op=3D\E[37;40m:AF=3D\E[3%dm:AB=3D\E[4%dm:
>
> You forgot:  :tc=vt100

I didn't. There is no need for it if the capabilities above are put in the
vt100 definition. If I create a definition for an equivalent terminal then
tc=vt100 could be used.

> and of course changing the name of the entry to reflect that it is no
> longer a VT100 entry. Similar considerations apply to terminfo.

I could change it to anything else, VT666, VT100-ismael, etc. but then the
system wouldn't automatically detect the correct terminal type. If I wanted,
I could set the terminal in my .???rc file but I simply put the color
capabilities in my .termcap/.terminfo VT100 definition.

> You might also want to see wether term=vt240 works, as, I believe, this
> was the first colour terminal in Digital's VTxxx series.

I think it should be VT241, which seems to be the color version of the
VT240, but I couldn't find a definition for VT240/VT241 in any
termcap/terminfo file I could put my hands on. Anyway, it wouldn't work.
Those post-VT100 terminals use capabilities that are not understood by a
VT100 or VT100-compatible terminal. I've already tried setting TERM to VT220
and sometimes the results are disastrous.

> By changing the capabilities but not the name, you are abusing the
> termcap mechanism.

Probably. I wouldn't recommend putting those color capabilities in a global
termcap/terminfo but in personal ones there's no problem. I know that my
.termcap and .terminfo are "abused", "contradictory", "impure", etc. but
they work very well and I get color in Lynx with them. That's what's
important for me.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |