lynx-dev userdefs.h vs. configure (was: INSTALLATION file changes)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev userdefs.h vs. configure (was: INSTALLATION file changes)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:28:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:
[Henry:]
> > Tom, and others, could you comment on this "editing of userdefs.h" change.
> > It was my impression that there WAS no longer a need to edit userdefs.h,
> > and
> > that some of you never do anymore.  Should I leave it the way it is, or
> > should I make the change, but emphasize that if you don't edit userdefs.h,
> > you absolutely must edit lynx.cfg?
>
> I don't edit userdefs.h myself - do everything that I need to with the
> configure script.  But there are some definitions (at least) listed in
> the makefile.in that are not covered.  Perhaps we need to make a similar
> list for userdefs.h

Going through userdefs.h I found the following definitions, for which
some setting cannot be deferred to lynx.cfg, and which cannot be done
as ./configure flags

   #define NO_ANONYMOUS_EMAIL TRUE
   /* #define PERMIT_GOTO_FROM_JUMP */
   #define LY_UMLAUT           [ does this still have an effect at all? ]
   /* #define ALLOW_USERS_TO_CHANGE_EXEC_WITHIN_OPTIONS */
   /* #define NEVER_ALLOW_REMOTE_EXEC */
   #define LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_OFF_FOR_ANONYMOUS FALSE
   Stuff in sections 3 and 4

This list may not be complete, or even correct.

Some other settings can be done from configure: some are obviously
only fallbacks (they are surrounded by #ifdef), some others
don't mention that they can be set from configure:

   /* #define EXEC_LINKS  */
   /* #define EXEC_SCRIPTS  */
   /* #define LYNXCGI_LINKS */

  Klaus