lynx-dev 2.4 Hangs for hidden fields only form (was: Lynx Question)

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev 2.4 Hangs for hidden fields only form (was: Lynx Question)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:50:49 +0100 (BST)

Your subject was of no value.

> I am using Lynx 2.4-FM on an digital alpha running VMS

This is so obsolete as to be totally unsupported.

> When I run the following code:
> <head>
> <title>Link page</title>
> <script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

No version of Lynx supports Javascript.  I think 2.4 predates Javascript.

> <form name="theForm" method="POST"
> action="http://196.3.23.218/dbamail/webmaildba.pl";>
>   <input type="hidden" name="addrto" value="cgriffiths"><input
> type="hidden" name="addrfrom"
>   value="DTM Monitoring"><input type="hidden" name="projname" value="System

There is no way of submitting this form as it contains no SUBMIT, TEXT
or IMAGE fields.

> If I change the <input type> from "hidden" to "text" in the above code  I
> don't hang but I default to interactive lynx and the action address never
> is gotten to.

I think what you really want to do is use the post-data command line
option on Lynx.  Alternatively, use a Perl HTTP module and code the
client yourself.

> I am attempting to write DCL (VMS code) to check if the number of files is
> greater than 3 in a directory, if so I want to notify the "on call person"
> via email. I wrote the DCL command and was hoping to use Lynx to help me

Best solution is to use a proper email submission protocol.  But
otherwise, post-data, or direct submission (the program is basically
name to IP, bind write, close) would be the appropriate solutions.