lynx-dev screen widths

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev screen widths
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 07:33:45 -0400 (EDT)

990420 Bela Lubkin wrote:
> at least 5 users use wide displays
> and only one "hardly ever uses displays <> 79 columns".
> So _at least_ 83% of responses indicate they use nonstandard screen widths.
> From this you conclude: "presumably, most other users
> don't [use nonstandard screen widths] either".

my question was:

  how many lynx-devers regularly use Lynx with a screen width
  noticeably more/less than 79 chars & in what contexts?

from which i conclude that people using screen widths
close to 79 chars would generally not bother to reply.
wide screens cost more money, implying users are a minority
who either get them thro' their employers
or choose to invest more of their own money in hi-tech equipment.

 5/117  lynx-dev subscribers is  4,3 % .

>> i'ld say L/R columns in the screen display should be configurable
>> via an Option, but of course someone has to do the coding (BL?).
> It troubles me slightly, but definitely not enough to do anything about it.
> The loss of a few columns out of a 100 - 120 column screen isn't important.

for all but a few known users, it's a larger proportion of a smaller width.

the central point in the ill-tempered rants
which greeted my modest attempts to improve Lynx documentation
was that users' personal freedom was at stake.
i hear their complaint, excessively loud tho' it was, but respond in kind:
users should not have the width of their display hard-coded
as a result of a choice by someone in the early days of Lynx
who has long vanished from the scene (much as we may owe him otherwise);
users should be free to choose how many columns of their screens to use,
setting L/R margins by an Option or in  lynx.cfg  or both.

of course, none of us volunteers has any special obligation to code it.