Re: lynx-dev dev22 - patch to fix PSRC mode with SOURCE_CACHE!=NON

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev22 - patch to fix PSRC mode with SOURCE_CACHE!=NONE
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 06:41:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> Yes, it was implemented in a way you were preferred to avoid.
> But this may have a good sides also: current mainloop/getfile stuff
> already-too-big and hardly maintainable.

Well that's true, at least as far as mainloop() goes.
I don't find getfile() that bad.  It's basically a filter on the request
- ckeck various kinds of permissions,
- shortcut some requests (don't go through HTLoad*),
and
- the redirection loop.
The function is too big and should probably be split, but at least
it's not completely unclear how to split it up...

(OTOH some of the checks that are in mainloop() should probably be
moved to getfile() [or its successors] )

> Now, when source_cache implemented by someone else I have fixed most
> mainloop problems in an elegant any clear way (submitted to Tom privately,
> will be available in dev23 soon).

I'd prefer if you had sent it to the list, too...

> This actually *simpify* mainloop
> since we got a chance to look there from the other point of view
> (correct display partial logic in particular). In the other case
> we would fall into all kind of warnings with the replay from POST resubmit
> etc.

Can't comment on the magic bullet since I haven't seen it.

> Current caching mechanism hardly maintainable either.

?? Please elaborate.

> I have not figured out yet how we can implement http caching
> we discussed in November, but probably it is possible rather easy.

You probably mean "304 not modified"?  (Not quite the same as
http caching itself)

> We may try an equivalent of HText_select() somehow and go that way,
> probably just put HTreparse_document() in HText_select()
> with the appropriate checks. Isn't it?

That might work; problem is, what are the appropriate checks?

   Klaus