Re: screen widths [lynx-dev]

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: screen widths [lynx-dev]
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:09:35 -0700

On or about 21 Apr, 1999, Philip Webb
<address@hidden> wrote:

> 990420 Bela Lubkin wrote:
> > at least 5 users use wide displays and only one "hardly
> > ever uses displays <> 79 columns".  So _at least_ 83% of
> > this you conclude: "presumably, most other users don't [use
> > nonstandard screen widths] either".
>
> my question was:
>
>   how many lynx-devers regularly use Lynx with a screen width
>   noticeably more/less than 79 chars & in what contexts?
>
> from which i conclude that people using screen widths close to
> 79 chars would generally not bother to reply. wide screens cost
> more money, implying users are a minority who either get them
> thro' their employers or choose to invest more of their own
> money in hi-tech equipment.

OK, in case this turns out to have policy implications, I'll
go ahead and weigh in with:

99 columns on a 15-inch monitor.

If I had a little smaller Courier font available, I'd probably go
a little wider.

So,

>  5/117  lynx-dev subscribers is  4,3 % .

becomes:

6/117  lynx-dev subscribers is  5,1 % .

It looks fairly easy to edit the source to change the screen
layout, but keeping appropriate relative indentations if done
through an option might be kind of complex.

I'd say a pointer to the source, for those sufficiently
motivated, and a "Sorry, Outta Luck" [SOL] for pre-compiled
binary users, is good enough.  IMO, of course.

I suppose someone could also distribute a "custom" version
of the file in question (forgot the name), and whoever
agreed with their layout choices could just drop it in in
place of the original.  That still leaves out binary users,
but hey - it's a rough life.

--
Michael Warner          "You're cute when you're stupid"
<address@hidden>                                -- R.A. Miller