Re: lynx-dev Lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:46:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Russ Kiehne wrote:

> Thanks for replying to my message.  I'm blind and I'm using Volcal-Eyes
> in a dos box to run Lynx_w32 with windows 98.  I was using the 386
> version of Lynx on my 486 before I bought this new computer.  For some
> reason, I cannot get the 386 version to work properly on this new
> computer.  I tried to use the bookmark file I had created from the 386

The 386 version should work if you boot directly to DOS. I don't know
how well it would work in a DOS box. I don't know of any special reason
to use it, however, in preference to the Win32 version.

> version.  I copied my bookmark.htm into the main directory and when
> I press "v", I get cannot open bookmark file.
>
>                                                    Options Menu (p2 of 2
>
>   Bookmark Options
>   Multi-bookmarks                  : [OFF_____]
> Bookmarks file                   : bookmark.htm______________________________

Here are a few things to check. The bookmark file must be in the HOME
directory (or with a path relative to HOME). Does the batch file that
you use to start lynx set a HOME directory, and if so, is it the
diretory in which you have your lynx.rc and bookmark.htm files? The
directory names can be tricky in Win98. I would suggest keeping lynx
in directories that have names acceptable to DOS (i.e. do not put it
in a subdirectory of "Program Files"; put it in d:\lynx or some such).
There is probably an error message when you try to open the bookmark
file. See if you can tell what it is. It would be nice to use the
trace function to see what happens. I don't remember if it works in
the version that you have. Try going into lynx, then type CTRL-T to
start trace. Then type "v", then quit with "Q". Look for a file called
"Lynx.trace" in your HOME directory. This should tell you what file
lynx was looking for and what the problem seemed to be. Bookmark files
from lynx_386 should be compatible with the Win32 port.

> Do you know of any one else who is using Volcal-Eyes with Lynx_w32?
> The reason I ask, when I try to review the screen with the VE cursor,
> the keystrokes are also sent to Lynx at the same time.

I think that there were some workarounds for this discussed on the
BLIND-L list. You might try asking there. If you don't subscribe yet,
write to address@hidden and say in the body:
SUBSCRIBE BLIND-L Russ Kiehne
                           Doug
__