Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #inclu

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace, #includes)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:05:46 +0900 (JST)

> Maybe I was not clear enough. I was talking about
>
> #define BOXVERT '|'
> #define BOXHORI '-'

I don't understand any of this discussion, but I would really like
to know why you are not able to get a box.

I define the above as:
  #define BOXVERT 0
  #define BOXHORI 0

> acsc=``aaffggjjkkllmmnnooppqqrrssttuuvvwwxxyyzz{{||}}~~

I use the same as you do, or sometimes:
  acsc=``aaffggjjkkllmmnnooppqqrrssttuuvvwwxxyyzz{{||}}~~..--++\054\054hhII00,

In Lynx, I get a nice box, with the box/line-drawing characters, AFAIK.
When I try to cut-n-paste it, it looks like the following:

   lqqqqqqqqqk
   x         x
   x         x
   x         x
   x         x
   mqqqqqqqqqj

>   ????????????
>   ?          ?
>   ?          ?
>   ?          ?
>   ?          ?
>   ????????????
>
> With Lynx compiled with Slang, I always get the box-drawing characters when
> I use the VT100 character sets and that ugly thing above when I use ISO8859-1.

It looks pretty ugly to me, too.  The horizontal and corners are strange,
i.e., not in common use, kanji.  The vertical shows as "\370" as I edit in
vi, but as a ". " in raw mail.

>        | Montr?al - Qu?bec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |
But then these two also show up as weird kanji in mail or in vi as "\351",
although I can imagine what character you might think/hope I would be
viewing.

I use the csh shell on Solaris2.6, with the following in .cshrc or .login:
setenv LANG japanese
setenv LANGUAGE ja
stty pass8 icanon iexten erase '^H'
setterm -x SJIS