Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace,

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION file changes (was: Fix --disable-trace,
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:41:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> > My terminal program doesn't support alternate character sets. If I use
> > the VT100 character set I also get the DEC box-drawing characters but I
> > loose the ISO 8859-1 characters, which I need more than the box-drawing
> > characters.
>
> you're not making good sense

Maybe not, but I understand everything I write...

Let me try to explain. A true VT100 uses 7-bit characters. Its alternate
character sets are also 7-bit. When a real VT100 receives the command for
changing to another character set, it changes from the "normal" one, ASCII,
to another character set. Well, my terminal program doesn't support
alternate character sets the way a true VT100 does, but uses 8-bit character
sets. So, in its VT102 character set the DEC line-drawing characters are in
the 8-bit part of it. When it receives the command for changing to an
alternate character set it uses the characters in the 8-bit part. When I use
ISO 8859-1, the character that appears when the command for changing to an
alternate character set is received it displays the corresponding ISO 8859-1
characters. Is it clear now?

> - there are fonts that combine iso-8859-1 and the line-drawing characters
> for xterm

But I'm not using xterm and the ISO 8859-1 character set in my terminal
program doesn't "combine iso-8859-1 and the line-drawing characters".

> (it's not a limitation of the emulator if your font is the problem).

The font is not the problem. It's the way my terminal handles alternate
character sets.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |