Re: lynx-dev lynx on a Shareware-CD-ROM? (fwd)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx on a Shareware-CD-ROM? (fwd)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:36:08 +0100 (BST)

Please never send this sort of message to people who have not
explicitly asked for them.  They was bandwidth and inconvenient for
many to read.

> > the
> > ISO-9660 8.3 file name format. Packages comprising more than two =

There are perfectly good CD mastering programs (e.g. mkisofs 12b4 and probably
b5, for Unix like systems) that can create CDs which will read with 8.3
names on baseline ISO 9660 systems and long filenames on systems with
either Joliet or Rock Ridge extension support (one CD supporting both).

> > * copyright (e.g. copyright-protected program source codes, texts, =

I don't think you will realistically get any legal disclaimers beyond
those in the standard documentation for any free software, and in most
cases the standard documentation will disclaim them  (the Mozilla type
licences do require people to declare possible patent conflicts, but I
wouldn't rely on most individuals being that aware of patent claims; the
GPL, under which Lynx is issued, is void when there is a patent conflict
involving royalty payments, but again I think most GPLing authors would
not have done extensive patent searches).

In the particular case of Lynx, no single legal entity owns the
intellectual property rights, so you will probably need to get a couple
of dozen signatures just to get copyright clearances, if you are
not prepared to accept its documented status.

Generally, I think you will have to restrict your CD to commercial
shareware, and exclude nearly all freeware and pin money shareware if
you want to push the risk onto the authors.

NB it is a condition of the Lynx licence that you make the source
available for several years on no more than a cost plus basis, so I
would advise you to include the source of any GPLed software that you
do include on the CD, although, given that you will probably need to
negotiate a non-GPL licence with the authors for any included software
(as the GPL disclaims all warranties), you could try to exclude that
requirement at the same time.