Re: lynx-dev lynx on a Shareware-CD-ROM? (fwd)

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx on a Shareware-CD-ROM? (fwd)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 07:16:21 -0700

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 08:36:08AM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> <snip>
> There are perfectly good CD mastering programs (e.g. mkisofs 12b4 and probably
> b5, for Unix like systems) that can create CDs which will read with 8.3
> names on baseline ISO 9660 systems and long filenames on systems with
> either Joliet or Rock Ridge extension support (one CD supporting both).
> <snip>

On friday I called my disk & tape-drive &etc supplier I use for my
sun, and asked how much it cost to buy a cdrom-writer hardware.

He said it was cheaper to get one for write-once cd's, since the cd's
cost only $1 each.

Anyway, the cd-writer machine cost, he said, around $500 (external, scsi)--
but that the SOFTWARE for it cost $1,500(!!!!!).

Good Lord, who can afford that?

---

Just how Do people write these cd's?  Does gnu provide something?

(I'm talking about writing "from unix", reading onto unix -- and maybe
maybe maybe reading onto NT on a pc.  (unix on sun).)

I imagine that lots of us on this list could use some education
on this new and compact way of sending out software, and would
be interested in tutorial or whatever on the hardware and SOFTWARE
needed for doing this.

---

And, also, is there a newsgroup dealing with this stuff (that PLUS
whatever tutorial / education you can provide yourself to us).

Thanks!

David