Re: lynx-dev Name

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Name
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

990423 Moueen Bu-Ghanim wrote:
> I knew of an ISP in Lebanon who is using the name LYNX with a diferent logo
> for a their new service:  http://www.lynx.net.lb/
> They are new and has nothing to do with Lynx browser.
> Are there any international copyright law
> which can deal with this type of problems.

it's not really a problem:
`lynx' is the name of an animal & quite popular as a brand name.
anyone can register a domain name which is so far unused:
i was the user who pointed out that  browser.org/  was free,
which resulted in Rob Partington registering it for Lynx in 1997.
only if someone was using `lynx' as the name of a browser
would there be a conflict which we would need to follow up, if we could.