Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 02:04:29 +0500 (SAMST)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> > I had two configure files lynx_cfg.ok and included lynx.cfg
> > on my DOS system for a while.
> > With dev23 I got a nice *infinite* loop of error messages just on startup:
> >
> > unknown option name \tools\lynx\lynx.cfg in c:\tools\lynx\lynx_cfg.ok
> > unknown option name \tools\lynx\lynx.cfg in c:\tools\lynx\lynx_cfg.ok
> > unknown option name \tools\lynx\lynx.cfg in c:\tools\lynx\lynx_cfg.ok
> > unknown option name \tools\lynx\lynx.cfg in c:\tools\lynx\lynx_cfg.ok
> > unknown option name \tools\lynx\lynx.cfg in c:\tools\lynx\lynx_cfg.ok
> >
> > Apparently,
> > ":" after drive letter was assumed as a separator before option name...
>
> yes (I didn't see that either)
>
> > I still wonder why the loop is infinite.
>
> well - the new chunk of code is fairly well-confined, should be simple
> to fix this one.
>[...]

 I afraid we have to expect similar behaviour on VMS port - as I understand,
the VMS filename always contains ':'. I see several variants (not mutually
exclusive)
1) On DOS - if that ':' is preceeded with letter and nothing else (perhaps
spaces), we can treat such first ':' as part of the name, and expect option
names to start after second ':'.
2) I don't know anything about VMS filesystem approach, so here is conditional
solution:
 If each VMS pathname contain _exactly_ one colon, then we can expect option
names after second colon, otherwise
 disable this functionality for VMS (since this feature is designed for ISPs
that provide shell account with lynx, and IMO there are few ISPs with VMS
installed, then this decision won't be painful)

What do you think?

 Best regards,
  -Vlad