Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 05:18:32 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> >  I afraid we have to expect similar behaviour on VMS port - as I
> > understand,
> > the VMS filename always contains ':'. I see several variants (not mutually
> > exclusive)
>
> perhaps simpler: require that the include filename be quoted to get keywords
> after it
  What do you mean by qouting - including the name in qoutes or escaping
colons?

  IMO this is bad solution - it breaks backward compatibility on DOS since
each file path contain ':' after drive letter there. So we can be smart to
handle this without escaping colons or don't require to escape the 1st colon.
  I still don't know anything about VMS filenames. Can you describe them
briefly or point which of the variants in my original letter is correct?

> > 1) On DOS - if that ':' is preceeded with letter and nothing else (perhaps
> > spaces), we can treat such first ':' as part of the name, and expect option
> >
> > names to start after second ':'.
> > 2) I don't know anything about VMS filesystem approach, so here is
> > conditional
> > solution:
> >  If each VMS pathname contain _exactly_ one colon, then we can expect
> > option
> > names after second colon, otherwise
> >  disable this functionality for VMS (since this feature is designed for
> > ISPs
> > that provide shell account with lynx, and IMO there are few ISPs with VMS
> > installed, then this decision won't be painful)
> >
>[...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad