Re: lynx-dev dev.24 Archive link runaround

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.24 Archive link runaround
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:01:22 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Philip Webb said:

> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 13:46:49 -0400 (EDT)
>
> 990424 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > 990424 pg complained about problems using the link:
> >> I still vote for restoring it to the old value :-)
> > I haven't discarded your earlier item yet - there wasn't any feedback,
> > and I didn't test this page myself til now
> > (sounds like it was not a good change).
>
> as the one responsible for that change,
> my understanding is that the final  /  is needed only after the 1st part,
> not after subsequent (sub)directory names,

I believe the semantic concerns whether relative URLs are appended
or replace the final pathname component.  RFC 1808.

> but if Flora objects, by all means add the  /  or original  /html/ .

In fairness to PW, the change originally worked as intended; only in
the last few days has flora started bitching; flora must have made a
silly change; most sites simply redirect.  I don't feel guilty about
trying to leverage a personal preference off an incidental bug; I'd
feel guilty to be deceitful about it.  :-)

-- gil