Re: lynx-dev dev.24 Archive link runaround

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.24 Archive link runaround
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 07:29:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> So
> http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/
> really means  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/index.html, right?

That's completely up to the server.

If you are not the webmaster or author of the page, you don't need to
know.  If you do happen to know that two URLs always give the same
content, and maintain pages with links to the content, then you should
pick one form and stick with it, preferably the form that's also
preferred by the webmaster(s)/author(s).

> And http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev literally looks for the file "lynx-dev"
> right?

That's completely up to the server.

> As much of a UNIX geek as I am, I'm running into this problem lately when
> copying file heirarchies around..  Tab-completion, which I'm a relatively new
> user of, sometimes puts / on the end..  to annoying results.. because instead
> of copying the folder and it's contents, it's then copying the contents
> of the folder to the destination folder..

I assume your shell provides filename completion.  I doubt that it
claims to provide URL completion, so this is a different topic.

Filenames are not URLs.  URLs are not filenames.

If you don't like the way it provides filename completion, you may be
able to configure it differently.

  Klaus