Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:42:22 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> >  As for quoting, if we will accept this approach, we have to do the
> > following
> > (to guarantee backward compatibility on DOS and VMS) -   don't look for ':'
> > if
> > name is unquoted, and look for it if quoted. And how users will be able to
> > quote filenames with '"' in them - the '\' is already used on MSDOS, so we
> > have to invent another escape character if we accept  quoting...
> or just double the quote
>       "filename"      -> filename
>       "file""name"    -> file"name
 If we will stick to quoting (frankly speaking I don't like it), seems that we
should disallow treatment of ':' as separator if the name is unquoted.

 And if we stick to quoting, I afraid that a lot of users will think that
quoted filenames are supported by each setting in lynx.cfg - and it will be
hard to explain them that quoting is supported only by 'include' command or to
write support for quoted filenames for other options. This makes settings in
lynx.cfg slightly inconsistent.

 Several settings allow escaping of colons in their values
with backslash (printer, downloader, uploader,viewer) - so we introduce
another way of escaping '"' in quoted filenames - this can be confusing, but
on the other hand, we can't use backslashes as escape char since they are
present in dos pathnames.

 I still consider ' :' as a better alternative. Waiting for opinions..

> > PS: as date header of your letter says, you start working very early (or
> > stop
> > working too late) - is the header correct?
>
> both - Saturdays I work (depending on other things) from around 0600-0700 to
> around 2200-2300, get online briefly around 0700 on Sunday to check my
> email to see what I have to respond to, then resume around 1200-1300 and
> work til 2100-2200.

 WOW! And what about Monday-Friday?

>[...]

 Best regards,