Re: lynx-dev dev.24 Archive link runaround

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.24 Archive link runaround
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:51:02 -0400 (EDT)

990426 Larry Virden wrote:
> 990425 Philip Webb wrote:
>> please show me a case of  2  URLs which differ only in a final  /
>> & which have different meaningful content, anywhere on the WWW ...
>  http://www.perl.com/CPAN/  and  http://www.perl.com/CPAN
> are totally different.

well yes, what you get from them is different,
but they don't have different meaningful content:
as the latter says, the former redirects you to the nearest ftp site,
while the latter gives you a choice of ftp sites,
all for the same thing, an ftp directory of CPAN software.
is `nearest' always `quickest'?

this use of  /  seems to be an arbitrary choice by the site manager:
are users supposed to make careful notes or remember the difference?