Re: lynx-dev Edit TEXTAREA hot key

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Edit TEXTAREA hot key
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:13:01 -0700

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999, Leonid Pauzner (address@hidden) said:

| Reading the thread on INCLUDE extended syntax
| I recall the discussion on Edit TEXTAREA hot key:
|
| It was proposed by Klaus to use ^E^E (Extended Edit).
| Seems much better than current ^Ve:
|
| 1) ^V may not work as escape character with some unusual system configuraton,
| 2) ^V already overloaded by tagsoup mode and not so intuitive
| 3) ^E^E definitely easier to type.

While I agree that there should be something "better" than ^V for use as
a TEXT/TEXTAREA escape, I don't think using ^E is a good choice (unless
it is made configurable).

Reason is that ^E is the lienedit command char for the "move to the EOL"
command.

I *strongly* object to using that particular char for something else (ie,
an escape char), when in a TEXT or TEXTAREA field.

| I think we should change it before 2.8.2 because it will be
| a great compatibility problem to change hot keys later after release.

I agree.  Just *please* make the TEXT/TEXTAREA escape char user define-
able, with something akin to a KEYMAP statement.

/kim