Re: lynx-dev Edit TEXTAREA hot key

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Edit TEXTAREA hot key
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:39:03 -0400

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 06:13:01AM -0700, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> While I agree that there should be something "better" than ^V for use as
> a TEXT/TEXTAREA escape, I don't think using ^E is a good choice (unless
> it is made configurable).

I've often wondered if it wouldn't be better to make the TEXT or
TEXTAREA fields work more like SELECT boxes, where you have to press
enter (or right arrow, or l, if you have vi keys on) to get into input
mode.  I use the space bar to go forward in a document, and b to go back,
and I'm constantly running into the problem where an input field is at the
top of the screen, and my spaces and b's end up in that field.  I also
have vi keys turned on, and I run into this with the j and k keys, too.
An added benefit to making input fields work this way is that there would
be no need for an escape key (well, I guess you'd need one to exit input
mode).  Possibly this could be configurable.  Would anyone else find this
behavior desireable?

Chuck