Re: lynx-dev BUG (weird one): long filenames, specialized downloader, ot

From: John Bley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev BUG (weird one): long filenames, specialized downloader, other stuff
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 02:39:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> In WWW/Library/Implementation/HTUtils.h:98, LY_MAXPATH is define'd
> as 256.  Perhaps bumping that up will do the trick, depending on
> just how long, long is.
>
> Since it's reproducible at your end, why not increase it to (say)
> something like 1024, and see if that fixes things?

I tried 2048 on a whim, and this indeed fixed the problem.  This probably
means that some function needs to be switched to its bounded variant.
The fact that it crashed given this off-the-web long name means that either
 a) some function(s) need to be switched to their bounded variants
 b) The fixed buffer size needs to be either increased or removed
 c) An off-the-web file name that goes beyond the limit should be
    truncated before being displayed to the user.

Again, I'll take a look when I have some time.  (c) seems like a good first
guess at how to really fix this.

--
John Bley - address@hidden
Duke '99 - English/Computer Science