Re: lynx-dev ms client

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ms client
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:25:24 -0400

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 09:57:09PM -0400, Mike Carpenter wrote:
> Well, I was messing around with a copy of microsoft client for dos.  I can
> get on my win95 based network for filesharing using this dos only machine
> and ms client.
> I also have tcp/ip setup and i can successfully ping any machine on my lan.
> However, I couldnt get lynx to work.  It says no packet driver found.  I
> have an ne2000 compatible.  I downloaded crynwr's ne2100 packet driver,
> successfully built it, and couldnt get it to init the nic.  This was either
> with the msclient started or not.
> What reason would there be for lynx not to recognize the tcp/ip stack that
> was installed by ms client and is already running.
> Not knowing an darn thing about packet drivers, whats the diff between a
> packet driver and a tcp/ip stack installed by ms-client?

I'm not familiar with "ms client".  My guess is that these are TCP/IP
drivers for MS-DOS 3-6?  Lynx for ms machines comes in two main flavors,
Win32 and 386+.  Is this DOS-only machine a 386 or better (have to ask)?

You don't say which Lynx you downloaded and tested.
Was it from http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/ or
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm? More details would help us
figure out your problems.

You shouldn't need to "build" a packet driver (just use the .COM file).
When I was working with them for network Kermit sessions, we needed to
get the right one (clone network cards aren't always good clones), and
set the right parameters. Can you ping other machines after installing
the packet driver?

Other possibly helpful pointers:

http://www.crynwr.com/
http://www.crynwr.com/packet_driver.html