Where are we Headed? (was lynx-dev The Lynx TODO list )

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: Where are we Headed? (was lynx-dev The Lynx TODO list )
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:13:22 -0500

        As an enthusiastic lynx user who happens to be blind, I can't
stress enough how appreciative I am that lynx exists.  The term
"electronic curb cut" has become popular for this kind of technology.
The expression stems from the fact that after curb cuts began to
appear on city streets, bicyclists, people with baby strollers, and
workers moving tools or equipment by hand-cart discovered that the
curb cuts made life for them much easier.  Lynx has been described
this way because it wasn't developed for the blind, but as I
understand it, for those connected to systems via dumb terminals or
slow modem connections.  For us, the advantage is that speech
synthesizers and Braille displays run on ASCII so that anything which
produces plain old ASCII text is more likely to work without a lot of
gotchas.

        Now, I can cut to the chase.  More and more sites require Java
applets and a whole host of lynx breakers.:-(  In my limited
understanding of Java, it seems that there is no good reason why it
couldn't be used in lynx as long as the end result is ASCII text.  Is
this correct?

        I hope lynx lives on as it makes a philosophical statement
about the need to value written communication.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group