Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 09:00:46 -0400 (EDT)

> information on it, I have discovered that one must be a semi computer
> guru to even install it.  How disappointing!  I am not stupid, and am

Without more info on what you don't understand, there's not going to be
much we can do to help.

In all actuality, installing software on a computer eventually requires one
to become a semi computer guru .  Would you expect to install a new room
in your house without learning something about capentry, etc.?
Would you expect to install a new hi-tech entertainment center with computers,
dvd, vcr, tv, stereo, cassettes, surround sound, etc. using comic book
pictures?

On the other hand, this group has always been willing to answer specific
questions that people have - and adding instructions to the docs to
clarify things that were confusing to users.

> generally pretty technically oriented.  If someone could provide some
> assistance between the semi computer guru level and the level of the
> competent computer user, I could install and use this product.  And I

Great - if you would provide some indication of the system you are using,
as well as questions that are clear (good question - "what compiler do I need
on my Froboz brand computer running Limbo version 3.19" - bad question
"I don't know what to do") and you would be willing to do research and
experimentation when either you find that we have no idea what you are
talking about , or if we know nothing about your system, or you are willing
to either make an account on your system or hire someone to help you out
in worst cases - then you should be able to install and use the product.
This software is developed and maintained on a purely volunteer basis.
Most here have real world lives which take most of our time.  The small
amounts of time (relatively speaking) spent on lynx is dedicated to fix
things that we encounter or that happen to those willing to help fix them -
or it is spent by those who need some particular feature.

> would really like to.  But I just don't have the technical computer
> background to make sense of the installation instructions.  Is there

Unfortunately, we don't have the background to read minds over the internet...

> anyone who is willing to help us computer mortals in dealing with this
> barrier to lynx?  Wouldn't it be in the interest of those of you who

Yes, many - ask away.

> favor thisd product to make it a bit more accessible?

No, actually not.  On the other hand, those here tend to be the kind who
do just this daily despite the fact that it requires more and more of their
time to help 'computer mortals' and thus results in less and less time
fixing lynx.

> Please write if you can help, or if you can recommend someone or some site
> which can.

This place is it.  If you want help, ask away.
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>