Re: lynx-dev patch to fix several -prettysrc problems

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch to fix several -prettysrc problems
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 05:39:46 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> >  This patch will fix following problems reported by LP:
> >
> > * 8bit attribute values are now translated in psrc view
> > * trailing ';' now is shown after HTML entities.
> >
> > begin 644 patch1.gz
> > end
>
> Could you please send patches as text, not uuencoded, if possible.
> I'd prefer that a lot, it has always been The Way to send patches
> to lynx-dev, and nobody seems to have complained.
>
> Thanks,
>   Klaus

 Sorry, there is no reasonable way of sendind it in any other way:

  That patch modifies sources in WWW/Library/* and in /src/*. There were lines
longer than 80 chars in that patch (the names of files being patched), even if
you substitute prefix 'lynx-2.8.2dev25-orig' and 'lynx-2.8.2dev25-fixed' with
one-letter dirnames.
So, to prevent fighting with MIME, I gzipped and uuencoded that  patch. Other
possible variants were:
 * don't gzip and don't uuencode - in that case subscribers will have trouble
   clueing lines.
 * don't gzip, but uuencode - seems doesn't make difference, anyway you have
   to uudecode it.
 * mail patches for each file, relative to the dir that file reside - either
   in one letter or in different - seems not clever.
 * ? - waiting for suggestion - I consider other variants listed here will
   cause more trouble than the way I did.

Believe me, I do inspect the 'diff' file before sending and try to change it
manually to fit it's lines to be shorter than 80 chars. If it's small enough,
I send it ungzipped and not uuencoded.

I gzip and uuencode patch if it is bigger than 15 Kb. Experience showed to
me that even letters bigger than 64KB are delivered VERY slowly yo lynx-dev
(10 hours for patch that added structured description of lynx.cfg settings)

And I don't think there will be big patches from me (>50Kb ungzipped) - I
can't imagine any other huge change to lynx source (except JS support).

 Best regards,
  -Vlad